Who We Are
Cooper and Huber LLP is a business centric law firm. We provide proactive and practical representation for closely held companies at a reasonable price. We have 20 years of highstake civil litigation experience throughout California which allows us to take steps today to prevent unnecessary legal problems in the future. Our attorneys work together to form new businesses, restructure companies, handle partner disputes, review and draft contracts and oversee and manage outside lawyers for busy clients. We remain true to our roots as litigators and execute client strategy through precision discovery, the latest technology and strong communication to exceed expectations. Our foundation is rooted in strong customer service and high client retention rates. We offer free consultations to potential business clients to see if we are the right fit.
Meet The Team
Daniel A. Cooper, Co-Founder and Partner
Daniel A. Cooper is a relationship driven outside general counsel and litigator who represents closely held businesses, healthcare organizations and real estate entities to oversee their day to day legal challenges and mitigate future risk. Daniel is well known for explaining difficult concepts in simple terms at a reasonable cost.
As a civil litigator, he has prevailed on matters involving breach of contract, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty and medical malpractice. He also has handled claims for Fraud, Invasion of Privacy, Assault, Battery and Violation of Business and Professions Code 17200. When appropriate, Daniel advises those who need an attorney to quickly understand their concerns and guide them challenging times both personally and professionally.
A Sample of Outside General Counsel Services include:
- Contract Review and drafting including non-disclosure agreements, business service and associate agreements, asset management agreements and purchase-sale agreements
- Facilitating proper corporate structure and business formation such as LLC’s, S-Corps and Partnerships
- Preparing and responding to Demand Letters
- Facilitating and coordinating estate plans for individuals to develop proper business planning
- Insurance Coverage analysis and review
- Hiring and managing local counsel
- Risk Management Advice including HIPAA compliance
- Informed consent review and updates
- Social media policy drafting and updating
- Real Estate Due Diligence and lease negotiations
- Representing and preparing professional medical staff for depositions
- Advising and responding to deposition subpoenas for medical, billing, pharmacy and employment records
- Medical Reporting Requirements
Daniel’s background is rooted in litigating complex medical matters for over 12 years. He is currently assigned as lead trial counsel for matters related to medical malpractice, breach of contract, breach of privacy and general negligence claims. He is asked to represent physicians who have coverage issues, are underinsured, benefit from Cumis Counsel or require a second opinion.
Daniel has received multiple Super Lawyers Rising Stars awards and in 2019, was awarded a Pre-Eminent AV Rating, which is the highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards.
- Trial Counsel in March 2020 in which he secured a $1,000,000 + verdict for physician client at which time it was confirmed defendant breached the contract and his fiduciary duties.
- Successfully Represented Estate in wrongful death shooting in Long Beach.
- Obtained complete dismissal for emergency room physician alleged of violating a patient’s advanced healthcare directive.
- Successfully represented gastroenterologist whose insurance company was liquidated leaving him without coverage on the verge of trial
- Obtained Judgment for spine surgeon based on the negligent installation of spinal hardware
- Obtained complete reimbursement for funds spent by commercial landlord whose roof was damaged by the conduct of the roofing company.
- Secured Settlement for homeowners against the City of Inglewood for tree root intrusion causing damage to the foundation based on theory of inverse condemnation.
- Secured 6-figure settlement on behalf of real estate investors who asserted claims of fraud and breach of contract against manager of a real estate investment trust
- Secured dismissal of Medical Spa Director who was alleged to have failed to properly manage on-site nursing staff.
- Obtained Preliminary Injunction to stop the non-judicial foreclosure of a long-standing Los Angeles family restaurant
- Negotiated the resolution of a contentious medical spa dissolution on behalf of a nurse.
- Negotiated the complete dismissal of a major apparel retailer in Los Angeles with no money paid to Plaintiff.
Daniel was born in New York City and raised in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles. Outside the office, he enjoys skiing, spending time with his wife Sarah and their children Jack and Angelina. He has climbed Mt. Whitney, Run with the Bulls in Pamplona and The New York Marathon.
Alessa J. Huber, Co-Founder and Partner
Alessa is the co-founder of Cooper & Huber, LLP. Her vision was to create a firm that practices “preventive law.” In essence, helping clients identify gaps in their existing business practices and providing practical solutions with the goal of preventing legal issues down the road. Alessa’s clients include privately held companies across multiple industries with an emphasis on the healthcare and health and wellness communities.
Alessa graduated from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles after attending the University of California, Santa Barbara, where she received her undergraduate degree with honors. While in law school, Alessa served on various student organizations including the Consumer Law Society and Young Lawyers mentoring program. Additionally, she served as a Staff Writer and Editor to Loyola’s International and Comparative Law Review and participated in the Hobbs Trial Advocacy Practicum.
Alessa dedicated the first half of her legal career to litigation prior to transitioning to general counsel services. She draws on her litigation experience regularly when identifying and mitigating risk, negotiating contractual provisions and counseling her clients.
Alessa lives in Huntington Beach with her husband, Ian, and their German Shepherd, Greta. When she’s not working, you can find her skiing on the slopes or (attempting) to catch a wave. She also enjoys traveling and sampling her husband’s delicious cooking.
Eric Alspaugh, Of Counsel
Eric Alspaugh is an experienced transactional attorney specializing in health care and medical technology.
Eric graduated from the University of San Diego in 2004, where he was a member of Phi Delta Phi legal fraternity. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of San Diego and Bachelor of Science in Biology from University of California, San Diego in 1996.
After law school, Eric joined Haight Brown & Bonesteel where he focused on intellectual property, environmental law, and business transactions. While Eric enjoyed his team at Haight Brown & Bonesteel he was sought after to join Biosensors International to manage their intellectual property portfolio and contracts department. Eric helped Biosensors International valuation increase from $700MM to over $4B while listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. Additionally, Eric managed Biosensors International’s international patent litigation at the Hague successfully with the Court finding non-infringement of the asserted patent.
Eric left Biosensors International to co-found Advanced Bifurcations Systems and Sterling Vascular. Advanced Bifurcation Systems continues to develop its patented drug eluting stent and novel catheter platform in joint venture with Cedars Sinai and a publicly traded US medical device manufacturer. Sterling Vascular finally succumbed to failed financings after three successive sales for less and less money. Eric practiced in boutique IP law firms while continuing to serve as counsel for several international based technology companies and an Orange County technology incubator. Eric has been fortunate to participate in numerous mergers and acquisitions with his companies and now participates selectively with investment banks, private equity, and a couple of family offices performing IP portfolio valuation, due diligence, and corporate compliance functions.
Eric volunteers with numerous non-profits advocating for poor, animal rights, and underserved communities. Eric previously volunteered at the Orange County Bar Association as a Mandatory Fee Arbitrator. Eric has enjoyed service at the Orange County Rescue Mission. Eric has supported the California State Guard and California National Guard while serving as a JAG Officer providing pro bono services every month.
Eric is admitted to practice law in California and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Eric is also a licensed real estate broker in California.
Eric and his wife, Virginia reside in Dana Point, CA. In his free time, he enjoys cooking, woodworking, biking and watching his four children’s baseball games and dance recitals.
Ms. Thien Nguyen, Of Counsel
Ms. Thien Nguyen has carved a distinguished path in the legal landscape, commencing her career with a focus on professional liability, general liability, and personal injury in several prominent law firms across Southern California. Her expertise in navigating complex legal challenges and dedication to her clients set the foundation for a thriving practice.
Building on this foundation, Ms. Nguyen seamlessly transitioned her practice to encompass estate planning. This evolution reflects her adaptability and commitment to meeting the diverse needs of her clients. In her current role, she continues to provide personalized service, combining her background in litigation with a nuanced understanding of the intricacies of estate planning.
Ms. Nguyen earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California State University San Bernardino in 2003, graduating with Honors. She obtained her Juris Doctorate from Western State University, College of Law in 2006, where she distinguished herself as a Scholastic Merit Graduate and Dean’s List recipient. During her time in law school, Ms. Nguyen served as Lieutenant Governor of Women’s Issues for the American Bar Association, Law Student Division. Post-graduation, she served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Nho T. Nguyen.
Beyond her legal pursuits, Ms. Nguyen finds joy in playing the drums, attending concerts, and cherishing moments with her family. Her diverse background and unwavering commitment to excellence, coupled with the unique blend of experiences in professional liability and estate planning, render Thien T. Nguyen a valuable contributor to the legal and professional landscape.